Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's Beginning to Feel a Lot Like Christmas...

...and so it should.  Especially since Christmas is FOUR DAYS AWAY.  Only three if you don't count today.  Only two if you don't count today or Christmas Eve.

This year, I just haven't felt very Christmas-y.  I love Christmas, I really do.  But this year just feels...different.  It's not that I'm unhappy or depressed.  I have more to be happy about this Christmas than I ever have before.  It's just that everything seems like it's a lot of trouble.  Usually, our porch is decorated for Christmas, as well as all the windows.  This year...not so much.  Our tree is up, but all the cutesy stuff I normally put on the coffee table, console table, and end tables just didn't make it out of the boxes this year.  Our dining room table isn't decorated.  It makes me feel bad to think about all I haven't done this year to get our home ready for Christmas.  All of the shopping is finished, but only a few things have been wrapped or placed in gift bags.  Sigh.  I'm just so tired all the time.  (Not that I'm complaining about this pregnancy because I most certainly am not.  I know how blessed I am, and I would not trade one single minute of this for the world.)

Last week, I read Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas to my class.  As I continued turning the pages, I thought, Oh, my gosh!  That's ME!  You know, minus the whole stealing Christmas from an entire town thing.  But the attitudes were very similar.  Too similar.

Over the weekend, as Bradley and I were finishing our Christmas shopping, he looked at me and said, "What's wrong with you?  You love Christmas!  Where's your Christmas spirit?!"  And, honestly, I didn't have much Christmas spirit.

Until today.

Today, friends, is a turning point.  Maybe it's because today is the first day of Christmas break (!!!).   Maybe it's because I was able to sleep a little longer than the night before.  Maybe it's because I'm having lunch/Christmas today at my favorite restaurant with my two best friends.

But really, I think it's mostly because of these pretzel bites.  The assistant principal at my school gave us all these cute little pretzel treats.  I fell in love with them.  That's kind of odd because usually when it comes to chocolate and pretzels, I like to eat a couple once a year at Christmas, but not the whole bag.  (Of course, this is the same person who couldn't stand salt and vinegar potato chips until a month or so ago but now has been known to eat them until her tongue is sore from the vinegar.  Oh, pregnancy, how strange you are.)  But these were different.  These were fantastic! They were like little pretzels sandwiches with gooey chocolate and caramel inside. 

This morning I woke up and had a couple more of these delicious little things after breakfast.  (You know, for dessert.  After breakfast.)  Then I began to wonder, What is inside of these?!  I tried one more (for research purposes only, you see), and then had a thought.  Could this be a Rolo?!  I think it is!!  Giddily, I grabbed the laptop and Googled.  And, lo and behold, a whole list of Rolo Pretzel Bite recipes popped up on the screen.  I grabbed the phone and called Bradley's office.  "It's Rolos!"  I yelled into the phone, "Rolos!  And, it looks like they're pretty easy to make!  I could so make these!  I'm going to make them for everyone because these things are so good!  And I'll put them in cute little treat bags!  It finally feels like Christmas!" And, Bradley (who, bless his heart, puts up with my craziness), said, "Really?  It feels like Christmas because of pretzel bites?"  I could hear the smile in his voice.

And with that, my Christmas spirit was renewed.  Maybe I'll even go down to the basement and unpack a couple of Christmas boxes.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment