Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Back

2010 was, like most years, a mix of both good and bad.  During 2010 we learned to laugh rather than cry when things seemed like too much.  We learned that the best things in life really are free.  We learned that we are stronger than we imagined, and that faith truly can move mountains.  We learned to fully trust God's plan and wait.  We learned that even when science says something is nearly impossible, God makes a way and miracles really do happen.

Here's a look back at a year that definitely changed our lives.

January:  I was in a dark place in January.  We were taking a break from REACH and fertility treatments.  The weight of infertility and the miscarriage weighed heavily on my shoulders, and I couldn't bear the uncertainty of the future.  January was a hard month in many ways.  On a happy note, in the middle of the month, we added Ethel to our little family.  Though I was a little uncertain of her in the beginning, she's been a wonderful addition and I couldn't imagine our home without her. 

February:  We celebrated Lucy's first birthday on February 13!  We also returned to REACH at the end of February.  I remember being filled with such hope that month.

March:  We learned that our first treatment cycle failed.  I started taking Bravelle injections and added an IUI to the mix.

April:  On April 1 I celebrated my 26th birthday.  We learned that another cycle had failed.  I continued taking the Bravelle injections and had an IUI. 

May:  Another disappointment.  After the negative result in May, Dr. W and I discussed surgery to remove a possible blockage in one of my fallopian tubes.  I scheduled the surgery for the first week in June.  

June:  I had surgery on June 1.  The blockage that had shown up on the HSG test wasn't there, and Dr. W couldn't find any reason to explain why, even with all the medication, I couldn't conceive.  We were at a loss.  Dr. W pulled everything out of his Hail Mary Box and we were presented with an aggressive treatment plan.  However, we were also told that IVF may be the only way to have a child of our own.  I finished my fourth year of teaching.

July:  I injected myself with more Bravelle than ever before.  Dr. W changed some of the other medications, hoping that something would work.  We didn't do an IUI because Dr. W felt it would be best if we saved that money for IVF.  We celebrated our fourth anniversary on July 29.  Bradley and I spent time at the beach with friends during the two week wait.  Everything about our time there is ingrained in my mind--the dinners, the time spent on the beach, our conversations, the strange mix of hope and anxiety I felt, the ride home.  Kesha tried her best to talk me into taking a pregnancy test while I was there, but I wouldn't because I was so afraid I would be disappointed again.

August:  We came back from the beach on August 4.  The morning of August 5, I took a pregnancy test.  After realizing that what I thought was a negative was really a positive, we rushed to REACH for blood work.  On August 6, I posted this on the blog.  Bradley turned 29 on August 12.  On August 20, we had our first ultrasound and were able to see the baby's heartbeat. 

September:  We had our second ultrasound on September 2, and were released from REACH.  We went to the Apple Festival.  I wrote the 100th post for the blog.  On September 24, I met Dr. H for the first time.  After a scary moment with the doppler, we had another ultrasound.  The baby was there, wiggling away.

October:  In October, we celebrated the end of the first trimester.  We also lost Bradley's grandmother to cancer this month.  Near the end of the month, I felt the baby's first fluttery movements.  What a precious moment!

November:  On November 12, we were thrilled to see that our baby was growing perfectly during an anatomy scan ultrasound.  We learned that we were expecting a little girl!  We fell even more in love with her as we watched her on the screen, and we chose a name for her that day.  We celebrated Thanksgiving with our families. We reached the halfway mark of the pregnancy during November.  We also celebrated Ethel's first birthday!

December:  Bradley felt the baby move for the first time.  We celebrated Christmas with our families, and experienced a white Christmas for the first time. 

Now we're thirty minutes away from 2011--the year our daughter will be born, the year we'll become parents, the year our lives will drastically change.  Looking back, I can truly appreciate how far we've come.  As good as 2010 was, I can't wait to see what 2011 holds in store for us.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Cheers to all the wonderful things that 2011 has in store for you and your sweet Hubby! Rub sweet Addison for me :)

    May God Continue to Richly Bless you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrian,

    I meant Anniston...pregnancy brain I guess :)

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete