Monday, April 25, 2011

The First Month

It's so hard to believe that Aniston is a month old today!  Where has the time gone?!  It does not seem like it's been a month since we left the hospital with her....and looked at each other and said, "That's it?  They're just letting us take her?"  I was so nervous, and she didn't come with any instructions at all--haha!  When we got home that day, we left her in the carrier and sat it on the table.  The "now what do we do?!" feeling was overwhelming!  I was so unsure of myself in the beginning, and I cried all the time.  For the first week or so, I'm pretty sure I cried nearly every time Bradley looked at me.  I wasn't unhappy.  It was just that everything was so new and scary.  She seemed so tiny and breakable.  Also, I wasn't prepared--mentally or organizationally--for her to come early.

Honestly, I wasn't ready for the pregnancy to be over.  I won't say that I loved being pregnant because there were many things (especially toward the end) that weren't so great.  But I did love feeling her move, and I loved feeling special.  Not special in the sense of people paying attention to and making a big deal over me, but special in the sense that I was part of something really wonderful.  I didn't think the doctor would induce labor that day.  My bag wasn't packed, Aniston's room wasn't finished, I hadn't had maternity pictures made...the list goes on and on.  All of this really bothered me the first couple of weeks.  Nothing about her birth had gone according to my plan.  (Big surprise there, right?  When does anything go according to my plan?) 

And yet there she was.  Perfect and healthy, even after all that happened during labor.  Really, does it matter that I don't have maternity pictures?  Does it matter that the nursery wasn't finished and that my bag wasn't packed?

Nope.  In the grand scheme of things, those details don't matter at all.  Once I realized that, everything fell into place.  It has been the hardest but most rewarding month of my life.  I love her so much, and can't imagine life without her.

Highlights of The First Month
--Aniston weighs 6 pounds 7 ounces (as of 4/20).
--She's still wearing newborn diapers and clothes.  The clothes are still a little big on her.
--She's a really great baby!  She sleeps for four-hour stretches at night, eats, and then usually goes back to sleep fairly quickly.  She usually only cries when she's hungry or needs a diaper change, and she's rarely fussy.
--She still sleeps a lot during the day, but she's beginning to be more alert when she's awake.  She's also beginning to wave her arms more.
--She loves to stare at faces, especially during the middle of the night feedings.
--She's not a fan of socks or mittens and gets them off as quickly as possible.
--She loves her swing and riding in the car.
--She doesn't like bath time at all.  It's a fairly miserable experience for all involved.  We're working on this.
--Her first time in a restaurant was at Chick-fil-a after a visit to the pediatrician on April 14.
--Her first ER visit was on April 20.  She stopped breathing and turned blue.  It was horribly scary!  The pediatrician believes it was due to acid reflux.  We're keeping a close eye on her and considering several treatment options.
--Her first trip to church was on April 24, Easter Sunday.  She was awake for just a little while during breakfast, but then fell asleep and slept through the entire service.

No comments:

Post a Comment