Monday, July 23, 2012

Blog Challenge Day 13: Your Friends

But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine.
--Thomas Jefferson

Kesha, Emily, and I have been friends since college.  The three of us have stuck together through all kinds of stuff.  We've shared so much joy through the years--vacations, college graduation, our first day as teachers, weddings, parties, Aniston's birthday, Emily announcing her pregnancy.  We've dealt with some really hard stuff, too.  They've both lost grandparents.  There have been scary medical issues.  Life has so many ups and downs, and we've weathered them all together.
 
Of course, I can't write about them without mentioning the way they stood by me through the last several years.  When I realized there was a problem after a year of no birth control and no pregnancy, I admitted it to them first.  I remember exactly where I was when I called Emily crying. They supported my decision to go to REACH, and loved me through that first treatment and helped me deal with all it entailed...crazy hormones, emotional hysterosalpingogram test results, everything.  When that first treatment cycle resulted in a pregnancy, their excitement was only slightly less than my own.  After the second ultrasound, they were among the first to know I lost our baby.  They were so supportive through the loss and the years of fertility treatments that followed.  They repeatedly brought dinner, sent flowers, and listened.  They provided distractions.  They remembered our baby's due date.  They took time off of work to stay with me after I had surgery.  When the surgery wasn't the answer we thought it would be, Kesha brought ice cream.  Life seemed a little less scary when they were around, and I can't begin to describe what that meant to me.  When I found out I was pregnant with Aniston, I was so thrilled but so anxious--and they understood.  They were there when Aniston was born, and I couldn't have imagined that day without them.  I'm so thankful for everything they did for us.
 
The three of us have the kind of friendship that is built on years of shared experiences and trust.  Even as our lives change, we manage to change together.  Kesha and Emily are two of the most important people in my life, and I love them more than words.  How lucky am I to have two best friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment