Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Charleston

B and I had so much fun on our trip to Charleston!  It was definitely a whirlwind--we packed a lot into just a few days.

Leaving on Sunday...with no one in the backseat!
 It was so strange to be on our own for a few days!
 
We decided to stay at a hotel in downtown Charleston.  We knew it would be easier to walk places rather than drive, so we booked our hotel with that in mind.  Our hotel was wonderful;  we couldn't have made a better decision.  It was a historic boutique hotel.  It was built in the 1840s, and had only 37 rooms.  Everyone was so friendly and helpful.  We loved it, and will definitely stay there again. 
 


On Sunday afternoon, we took a carriage ride.  It was a fun way to see some of the sites and hear about the history of the city.




After dinner that night, we wandered through several gardens.  It was such a pretty night.  We skipped out on the haunted jail tour because we ran out of time (not because I was a chicken).



Monday was our seventh wedding anniversary.  It's hard to believe it's been seven years already, but don't they say time flies when you're having fun? 

After breakfast on the hotel's rooftop terrace, we toured a church.





 
Then we headed to the City Market. We watched women make sweetgrass baskets, sampled pralines (which I'd never had before), and bought several things (because, you know, we just had to). 

And then our day went downhill for awhile.

We had planned to take a harbor tour at 11:30.  The boat left from a dock that, according to B, was "just a few" blocks from the hotel.  Now, I'm not exactly sure if it was because we left from a different part of the city or because my husband couldn't read a map that day to save his life, but the harbor WAS NOT "just a few" blocks away.  By my best estimate, we walked 15 miles.  (B says you can't walk 15 miles one way on a peninsula that's only a few miles long and fairly narrow, but, for the sake of my story, I'm pretty sure we did.)  It was hot and humid, and I was sweating.  We're not talking a little perspiration here.  Oh no.  I mean, my eyes were burning because I couldn't keep it wiped off my forehead.   (Gross, I know, but true.)  My feet hurt. (B had the nerve to ask who in their right mind would wear Rainbows for walking. Answer: Someone who didn't exactly plan on walking 15 miles to a boat.)  For the last two blocks or so most of the trip, I was a pretty miserable walking partner.  I said some not-so-nice things, and may have threatened to divorce him on our anniversary.  I'm sure B spent most of those blocks thinking about how lucky he is to be married to such a sweet girl. 

Someone told me not to bother ordering tickets online before we left, so I was afraid that after that ridiculous walk, we weren't going to make the tour in time.  By some stroke of fantastic luck (or maybe by a higher power watching out for B), we managed to get tickets and board without a problem.  Crisis averted. 

 


The sightseeing cruise took an hour and a half.  It went all around the harbor, and we had a good time.  The best part?  The lower deck was climate controlled.  Hello, air conditioning!!



After the boat docked and we got off, it occurred to me that we were going to have to walk back to the hotel.  I was not happy.

This guy stepped in and saved the day. 



Bless bike taxis.  We were back at our hotel in no time, and all was well with the world. 

We had dinner that night at a cute little Italian place.  It was in a building from the 1800s and had several dining areas, so it felt small and intimate.  There was candlelight, the food was delicious, and everything was perfect. 

A blurry picture.
 

We came home yesterday afternoon.  When we walked into Mamaw and Papaw's to pick up Aniston, she squealed and threw the book she was holding into the air in surprise.  She was so excited and happy to see us.  She gave us the biggest, longest hugs.  Precious!

It was a fabulous trip, and the last seven years have been pretty fabulous too.  I'm a happy, blessed girl.  :)


B--Thank you for seven amazing years.  Our life together is a dream come true, and I couldn't be happier.  I'll love you through anything and follow you anywhere...to the end of the earth...or a boat that's 15 miles away. ;)  You're still the one--you always will be--and I love you so, so much.  -A

No comments:

Post a Comment