Friday, November 22, 2013

Five on Friday

It's Friday night at 6:04 and my little girl--who refused to take a nap today--is now asleep.

Awesome.  Just awesome.

Since B has already left for a band gig, her super late nap is giving me a little time to blog and relax.  Which, I admit, is nice....even though it's probably going to come back to bite me in a few hours.  Ha!

{One} Thanksgiving is almost here!
 I am SO excited about Thanksgiving.  I can't wait to spend time with family, eat lots of yummy food, and have a few days off work to spend with Aniston.  I'm looking forward to decorating for Christmas, too--after Thanksgiving.

{Two} A Picture Frame Confession
 I bought some picture frames....um...a while back.  As in, I've had them for some time. Like....maybe since the summer.  And....they've been sitting empty since then.  If you're thinking they've been sitting in a closet somewhere (you know, since they're empty and all), you would sadly be mistaken.  They've definitely been sitting out on the tables I bought them for, with the fake families still in them.  I'm pretty sure Aniston thought those people were related to us.  Ha! But have no fear--thanks to our fall pictures, the frames have been filled and the fake families are no more. 

{Three} It's Getting Better!
 It's finally, finally, FINALLY getting easier to go places and do things as a family.  The terrible twos are not over by any stretch of the imagination (it pains me to say that), but it's manageable right now.  Going out to dinner or shopping is so much fun now.  We went to Chick-fil-a and Sam's on Wednesday night, and it was nice.  I was SO proud of our girl--the cow wasn't there, and she DID NOT cry about it.  She's been known to have melt downs over the stupid cow not being there.  One time it was so bad that the manager told her he was so sorry and gave her a little stuffed cow to make up for it, while he frantically whispered to me, "I'm trying to find someone to get in the cow suit!"  Bless.  Some kids are terrified of dressed up characters.  Clearly, my child is not.

{Four} A Black Friday Rant
 Now, I love Black Friday shopping as much as the next girl.  I like the crowds, the thrill of getting a good deal, and the start of the holiday shopping season.  I always spend Thanksgiving night spreading ads out on the living room floor and mapping out my plan.  It's fun for me. 

But here's the deal: Black Friday is called Black Friday for a reason.  Not Black Thursday at 6pm.  I was even okay with places opening at 9, and, I admit, B and I were in line at Toys R Us last year at that time.  But 6:00?  Really?  Not only are we cutting the time retail employees are able to spend with their families, but we're also cutting time that shoppers are spending with theirs.  How many people will leave Thanksgiving dinner early this year--or cut it out completely--just to go shopping?  Have we really come to this point?  Is there any deal that's good enough for me to cut out on family?

Also, on a completely ridiculous note, it makes me sad that Black Friday shopping probably won't be the same ever again.  The 5am store openings are long gone, I'm afraid, and Aniston will never experience the fun of real Black Friday shopping.  

Sigh.

I'm not saying it's not tempting because I most definitely am tempted to go.  There are some fantastic prices on things I would really like to buy people--or keep for myself--but I'm doing my best to resist. 

{Five} Perspective
Then you read stories like this, see pictures of starving children in other countries, or just look around your own community and see the needs others have--and it puts Black Friday and everything else in perspective.  Not to mention that it makes you feel about this big for even thinking about such a thing.

We have a warm house and running water.  We have never been truly hungry with no promise of food.  We're able to go to church on Sundays and worship as we choose.  We have access to the best medical care and medicine. 

So that's it, y'all.  If I don't manage to get a cheap tv, the Kitchen Aid mixer I still want, or win the $1000 Belk gift card for standing in line with all the other crazies, I'll be okay.

In fact, I'll be blessed.




I'm linking up today with Darci.



No comments:

Post a Comment