Sunday, December 1, 2013

Oh Christmas Tree


We went to find the perfect Christmas tree yesterday.  It was a fun trip and everything was great until the tree nearly fell off the car. 

(Note: When purchasing a Christmas tree, do not allow a sixteen year old to tie it onto the car.  Either do it yourself, or look for the man who is about your daddy's age.  Those are the trustworthy, knowledgeable types.)

(Nothing against sixteen year olds.  But I knew we were in trouble the minute he said something about wrapping the rope inside the car and B had to tell him that the Jeep had hooks on the inside of the roof rack.) 

(Also, at that point, B should have just said 'forget it, I'll do it myself', but he's too nice.  I don't have that problem.  That's probably why people generally like him better than they like me.) 

Anyway, the tree nearly fell off the car.  B will tell you that it wasn't close to falling off and that I'm being dramatic, but I'm sure that's not true.  We had to stop in a parking lot to re-tie the stupid thing.  I was pretty proud of us because we didn't yell at each other in the midst of the crisis.  (I've said before we don't bring out the best in each other, remember?)  We quoted lines from Christmas Vacation, laughed a lot, and finally made it home, tree and all.

And now I have to make a confession:

I don't like decorating for Christmas.  Not. one. bit.  I like it after it's finished, but as far as the actual decorating part....nope. 

Part of it may be the fact that I always end up doing it by myself.  B likes Christmas decorating even less than I do.  He's a good sport about dragging boxes up from the basement and helping decorate outside, but inside?  You can count him out.

 So once we got the tree in the house and settled, I was well aware that the rest of my weekend would be spent up to my ears in ornaments and tinsel.  (Except not really tinsel, because we don't have any of that.  I just like the way it sounds.)  I started decorating the tree last night and finished it and the rest of the inside decorations today after church.  And by "after church" I mean I started right after church and then finished about an hour ago.  It was a long, slow, tedious process.  I'm glad it's over. 

The decorations for outside are all piled on the front porch.  B says we'll get to them "sometime" which, for him and his ADHD, may mean next Christmas.  Thankfully, he's got me to nag him until he does it. 

He's such a lucky guy.  I really don't know what he'd do without me.

Anyway, the tree is decorated, the house is decorated (inside), and I'm tired.  I thought Aniston would be super impressed with all I had done, and just thinking about that made it worth all the work.  I made a huge show of turning on the lights for the first time.  I requested a drum roll, but she didn't do that so I just plugged them in.  Taaaaa-daaaaa! 

The response?  Nothing.  Not even a smile.  So, being the person that I am, I had to fish for compliments.

Me: Look, Aniston!  Isn't it beautiful?!
 Aniston: *Shrugs shoulders*  Nah.  Not really.

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. My husband is the nice one, while I don't seem to have a problem with voicing opinions, either. :) Having a real tree seems so much fun. We might have to give it a try in the next year or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! It's definitely more of a hassle, but lots of fun! So glad to have you as a reader, by the way! :)

      Delete