Saturday, January 4, 2014

Couponing

It's 12:26am and I can't sleep. This is unfortunate because Aniston will, no doubt, come bounding into our bedroom the minute she sees a sliver of sunlight peeking through her blinds.

She is a firm believer in early rising.  I hope to get this misunderstanding straightened out before summer.

But, anyway, it's late (technically early) and I can't sleep. I've wracked my brain for something terribly interesting to write about, but I have nothing.  I'm also blogging from my phone because I am just too lazy to get up and grab my laptop.  It's about eight feet away.  Sad, right?  But when you've practically lived in yoga pants for the last two weeks, lazy is par for the course. 

I don't have much to write about, but I did go grocery shopping today (technically yesterday) and I used coupons. I love coupons. And sales. And feeling like I'm getting something for a steal of a price. 

I'm sure if B is reading this, he's rolling his eyes. My couponing annoys him, I think. 

He also says I'm a marketer's dream, but that's another story for another day.

So, couponing.

A few years ago, when we were spending a fortune (I should probably have used shouty capitals for that word) at REACH every month trying to have a baby, I started couponing.  I saved a lot of money on groceries, which in turn gave us more money for REACH, and it was great. (Please consider the context of the word "great" because, believe me, nothing during that time in our life was great. I did walk away from the experience with lots of funny fertility clinic stories, but I can't share them here
because I know lots of you in real life. And I'm just not sure we could handle it.)

 (You will be able to find those stories in the book I'll probably never write. If I did write it, though, I would expect it to be a best seller because who in their right mind wouldn't want to read about this riveting life I'm living?) (If you did not read the last line with sarcasm, please remind yourself that I'm blogging about coupons and read it again.)

So, couponing. (Again.)

It turned into a game for me, and it also gave me something to do rather than sit around and think about the fact that I couldn't have a baby.  Which was what I thought about pretty much all the time.

I also never paid more than fifty cents for a toothbrush, which was pretty awesome too.

When we (finally) had Aniston, I quit couponing because it took time and I haven't had any of that to spare in, oh, say, almost three years. But life has settled down and is becoming manageable (I'm knocking on wood as I type this) and I'm back to couponing. As sad as it may be, I had fun today. 

You should try it.

Because there are few things in life more exciting than a less-than-fifty-cent toothbrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment