Tuesday, March 4, 2014

And It's Only Tuesday

It has been a long week.

And it's only Tuesday.

My gallbladder hates me.  I've known this for awhile now (like, oh, seven years or so), but I've always been able to avoid certain foods (sour cream and onion chips and Little Caesars pizza, if you're wondering) and it was fine.

Well, it's no longer fine.  I can't predict what will cause pain anymore.  Last week I had an appointment with my primary care physician.  He referred me for an ultrasound and then to a surgeon.  I met with the surgeon yesterday afternoon.  There's no choice, and there's no waiting (not even until spring break)--my gallbladder has to be removed.  We scheduled it for next Wednesday.

I came home and had a nice night with Aniston.  (B's band was recording a demo.)  We ate dinner, played, visited with my parents for my mom's birthday, and then went to bed.

She woke up at 1:24 with a stomach virus.  Lovely.

(Confession: I have a huge fear of stomach viruses.  I'd say it's a borderline phobia.  I kid you not.  I'm terrified.)


B walked through the door at 1:30.  Nothing quite says "Welcome home, honey!" like a panicking wife and sick, crying almost-three-year-old.  I'm pretty sure he wanted to turn right around and walk back out, but, to his credit, he didn't. 

Needless to say, it has been a rough time.  I'm a planner, and things haven't been going according to plan lately.  I was a little frustrated this morning, and running a little low on mommy virtue. 

(I prayed about it, by the way.  Prayer always helps...even when I think God is probably hiding a smile at my simple-minded but earnest pleas.) 

(I'm proud to report that prayer did, in fact, change things and I made it through it.  I am now convinced that I  could probably could might be able to handle another child one day with my stellar parenting abilities.)

Anyway, while I was having a "woe is me" moment this morning and feeling pretty sorry for myself, I checked Twitter.  There was a prayer request and blog link for a little boy who needs a miracle.  After that, I thought about families I know who've lost a child recently.

And, suddenly, I realized that my problems aren't really so terrible at all.

Aniston recovered quickly and is back to her normal, happy self.  My gallbladder is a problem, but one that can be solved with routine outpatient surgery. 

So, instead of complaining anymore today, I'm going to count my blessings and pray for Ben and those families.

I hope you'll do the same. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment