Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thanksgiving and Such

I'm sitting in the living room in the light of the Christmas tree, and my house is quiet.  B is at band practice, Aniston is asleep, and the schnauzers are settled for the night.  It's rare this happens all at the same time lately, and even more rare that I'm able to steal a moment for myself and the blog.  The stars have aligned this evening, though, and I'm taking time to catch up. :)

Our Thanksgiving was wonderful.  If you've read the blog in years past, or if you know me in person, you know Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It always has been.  Really, what's not to love about it?  It's a day filled with family and food, and very little stress.  No gifts had to be purchased, no difficult decisions about said gifts had to be made, and no wrapping is required--and there are very few things in life I hate more than wrapping Christmas presents.  It's a pretty perfect holiday.  As always, we had lunch with B's family and then hosted my family for dinner.  A good time was had by all, and we went to bed that night with very full stomachs and hearts.

B was off work on Thursday and Friday, and the band didn't have any gigs last weekend.  I was thrilled to have him around so much!  We went shopping on Friday, and then went to get our Christmas tree on Saturday.  We debated putting up our artificial one, but decided to forgo the easy way for the sake of continuing what has become a tradition since Aniston was born.  We spent most of the day in the mountains.  It was beautiful.  Snow was still on the ground from earlier in the week, but the temperature was warm for late November. 

 
B snapped a quick picture when we were on the hayride at the tree farm.  When we looked at it after we got home, we died laughing.  Aniston's expression is just priceless.  I promise she wasn't that miserable.  She just hates having her picture made!

                                                                                                

Aniston was very excited to decorate the tree this year, and was lots of help...even though she wanted to put all of the ornaments in the same place. :)  She has been telling people that our tree is pretty, but it's still not finished because there's not an ornament on every branch.  Ha!

On Sunday, B played in the band at church.  When he's scheduled to play, he has to be there early (7am!) for rehearsal.  The first service is at 9:30, but Aniston and I are more 11:00 kind of girls, so we always attend the second service.  After church, we usually go out for lunch and then do any shopping we need to for the week.  On weeks when B plays, though, we have two cars there so he and Aniston go home after lunch and leave me to shop by myself.  Now, keep in mind that it's just grocery shopping--nothing too exciting--but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite times of the week.  No impatient husband, no three-year-old begging to get out of the shopping cart, no rushing.  Just me, leisurely marking things off my list and often sipping a warm drink from Starbucks.  It's the little things, y'all. 

After I got home, we worked on the decorations for the outside of our house.  It was a busy afternoon, but I'm so glad we got everything finished before I went back to work on Monday.

And, now that I'm caught up on last weekend, I'm looking forward to this weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment