Sunday, March 22, 2015

Our Weekend: A Blanket Fort, A Picnic, and the Futility of Furniture Shopping

Happy first weekend of spring!  As a longtime non-fan (is that a thing?) of winter, I'm breathing a sigh of relief.  The days are longer, the weather is getting warmer, the flowers and trees are blooming, and I'm an all-around happier person in general. 

We spent Friday night at home.  I made nachos for dinner and B and Aniston built a huge blanket fort in the middle of the kitchen.  This is exactly why she prefers to play with him instead of me.  I'm just not that fun.  I see the work that the fort is going to take, think of the effort to disassemble the fort when the time comes, and quickly dismiss the idea, opting instead for things like coloring or reading or (Heaven help me) even Play Doh.  B is much more of a live in the moment kind of person and has no problem moving all our dining room chairs and pulling a ridiculous amount of stuff from the linen closet.

Which is also why I spent part of my Saturday moving everything out of the kitchen and muttering under my breath. 

We spent Saturday morning shopping (this mama needed pants that fit...desperately), ordering Aniston's birthday cake (which she changed her mind about constantly), and shopping for furniture for Aniston's room.  She's still using part of the nursery furniture since the crib was convertible (it's her headboard now) and, come September, that's just not going to work.

We didn't have any luck at all.  Apparently, I'm looking for furniture that just doesn't exist.

After we got home, I insisted on a picnic lunch in the backyard because I needed to make sure Aniston knew I could be a fun parent, too.  Picnics trump blanket forts every time.

Sunday was a regular kind of Sunday with church, lunch, and grocery shopping.  After we got home, we played outside and then tried to get things ready for the busy week ahead.  We have something going on every night this week, plus a certain sweet girl's birthday on Wednesday and party on Sunday.  I can't believe Aniston is going to be four! 

No comments:

Post a Comment