Saturday, September 12, 2015

Preschool

Aniston started preschool this week.  The past four years have passed so quickly.  Our sweet girl is growing up much faster than we'd like, and it seems like we arrived at this milestone in the blink of an eye.  We've spent the last several months preparing for preschool.  We talked about it a lot, let her pick out a bookbag, and attended orientation.

When Tuesday arrived, Aniston was ready.  Her mama?  Not so much.

Since I'm a bit emotional these days anyway, and since sometimes Aniston and I have separation issues, B suggested he take her on the first day.  As much as it killed me not  to go, it was absolutely the best decision for us.  We said our goodbyes at home, gave each other special kisses in our palms, and I left with a huge lump in my throat.

I cried as I prayed for her day in the garage.  I cried on the way to work out of worry--What if she was scared?  Lonely?  Didn't like it?  I cried in the parking lot because my baby isn't a baby anymore and everything is changing this month, and I just don't know how to deal with that.

A little after 8:30, B called and I realized my tears and worry had been completely wasted.

Our girl bopped into her classroom without feeling the need to even tell her daddy bye.  There were no tears and no signs of hesitation on her part at all.  B sounded a bit incredulous as he relayed the events of the morning to me. 

She had a great first day, and every day since then has been the same.  She loves it, and I'm so happy for her.  We've spent every evening this week playing school, and it's so sweet to watch her.  She has put little pieces of tape on our rug to denote our spots for story time.  There are center signs on the walls.  We've been told to raise our hands if we have something to say, and if we want a snack we should say "yes, ma'am," when it's offered.  She's a little sponge, and she's taking it all in.

She can't wait to get there each morning.  Yesterday, B said the assistant got her out of the car, helped her put on her bookbag, and then Aniston ran to the door.  The teacher in me says she probably shouldn't be running, but the mama in me couldn't be happier.  She ran because she's excited to be there and can't wait to start her day, and I'm so thankful for that. 

She's going to have a great year!






No comments:

Post a Comment