Wednesday, February 8, 2017

I Get It Now

Now that I'm the parent of a school-age child, I'm seeing my teacher-self in a new light.

Admittedly, in my before-children days, I was a bit confused.  I just couldn't understand why people couldn't remember to send specific items to school with their kids.  I didn't understand the strain of simple projects.  I couldn't figure out why kids came back to school with unfinished homework.  (Not that I ever said any of those things aloud.)

I GET IT NOW.

It's teddy bear week in kindergarten, and Aniston just finally took hers today.  It's Wednesday.  And it's a Care Bear. I don't even know if that qualifies as a teddy bear or not (I'm thinking not), but I was so tired of arguing with her about which bear to take to school that I finally said fine and moved on.

Heaven help me.

Today was camo day for our book fair spirit week.  Aniston wore a shirt with pink and white stripes. On the way into school, she asked if that counted as camo.

Sure thing, baby girl.

We do homework every night (it's a non-negotiable), but I would be lying if I said it was peaceful or pleasant.  Before kids, I pictured homework time as a kind of family time. In my mind, our kids would work on homework at the kitchen table while B and I cooked dinner, there would be nice conversation, and everyone would be smiling.

Ha. That's so not the case. Normally there's a lot of bargaining (her), threatening (me), and fussing (both) which all ends up the same way--me telling B he can do homework with her from now on.

Last night we made her Valentine's Day box at the last minute because I realized it was due today.  I wrote her name on the box lid, then went to put Harper to bed, planning to return to the box afterwards.  Aniston came bounding into Harp's room with the lid, announcing that she'd already decorated it herself.  And she had.  With little squiggles and one heart made by a pink Sharpie.  Bless it.  For two seconds, I considered losing my mind.  Then I thought, Really?  It's a Valentine's box. So I didn't bother even trying to fix it, and when she wanted to cover it in random stickers from my classroom before school this morning, I said sure. Why not?  It's a hot mess of a Valentine's box, but I'm sure it will do the job just fine and the world will go on.

I cringe a little when I think that I work with people she comes in contact with on a daily basis.  I just hope they're not judging me too harshly when she shows up with wild hair and a jacked up Valentines box.

Or when she brings a teddy bear three days late.

No comments:

Post a Comment